Be a part of our Heart Knows Best community, with 17072 reviews and ratings by other mums like you.
Get wisdom and advice from other mums and our experienced Careline advisors today!

  • avatar
  • 4 answers to
    this question
  • 5 mums love
    this question
Janice asked:
What is an induced birth?



  • avatar
  • Careline Supervisor
  •  3 mums love
    this answer
Angeline Anthony answered:
The process of starting labour artificially is called birth induction. If your due date has come and gone and you're still waiting to give birth, you may need to have labour induced. Likewise, if you're suffering from certain conditions or there's concern about your baby, birth induction may be required. There are a few medical methods to induce birth: (1) Intravaginal prostaglandin. It is in a form of waxy pessary or gel that is placed in the vagina using a slimline applicator. This is done to help soften the cervix, so that it can start contraction going. 2) Breaking water, as the water bag did not break naturally. A long thin hook-like Instrument is inserted and the bag of the water can be broken. 3) Syntocinon Drip. This contains an artificial form of oxytyocin, the hormone which helps your womb contract & bring on labor


  • avatar
  • Obstetrics & Gynaecology
  • 81 Answers
  •  2 mums love
    this answer
Tony_Tan answered:
An induced birth is one where a vaginal examination is performed to sweep the cervix or medications are given to “start” the process of painful contractions in labour. This is usually done when there are benefits to induce a labour as compared to waiting for labour to start spontaneously. When the cervix is favourable (e.g. soft, 1-3 cm dilated), the induction process usually succeeds in starting the process of labour quite easily. When the cervix is unfavourable (e.g. firm, cervix closed), it is likely to be a longer induction process if induction is performed.


  • avatar
  • 36 Answers
  •  2 mums love
    this answer
Connie answered:
As what oink17 said, Induced birth is to artificially stimulating labour. If you reach 41 weeks without going into labour, you'll have an appointment with your gynae. Your gynae will then talk to you about whether it would be better for your baby to continue inside your uterus. Or, the alternative will be for you to have your labour induced. And if you are induced you are more likely to need instruments such as forceps pr ventouse to help your baby be born.


Displaying 1 – 1 of 1 answers


  • avatar
  • STAR
  • 217 Answers
  •  0 mum love
    this answer
oink17 answered:
Induced birth is to artificially stimulating labour. The two main types of medical inductions are pharmacological (medications) or mechanical. Often a combination of these methods is needed to facilitate the labour to progress (or to make the induction successful).

Back to question

Ask the community

Not what you're looking for? Just ask.

Ask our Careline

Whatever's on your mind,
we're here to help.
Call us
Live chat

Help by sharing your wisdom